Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thanksgiving Countdown

I have to be confess: I’m not the most playful mama. I don’t like going to the park and playing ‘tag’ with my wee one. Noah watches too much t.v. so I can do something other than coloring, painting or going back to the park for what seems like, the 100th time, on any given day.

Here’s what I do like to do. I turn Noah into a Sous chef in my kitchen and we start to cook. Since Thanksgiving is in one more day and the family is coming over we get to party in the kitchen.

The prep started Friday. We baked pumpkins for a pie. First step. Cut the pumpkins in half and dig out the seeds:

Thanksgiving 2009 047 Why stand on the chair when the counter is so much fun?

Place pumpkins onto baking dish with about 1/2 inch of water and bake in 425 F degree oven until fork tender.

Thanksgiving 2009 022 Just before going in

Thanksgiving 2009 045 Dig out the lovely soft cooked pumpkin

Thanksgiving 2009 046

pumpkin puree

Nothing this lovely ever comes out of a can. I can’t wait to turn this puree into a pie!

Next on prep day: Cranberry sauce.

First: pour cranberries onto a pot.

Thanksgiving 2009 023 Thanksgiving 2009 025

Add zest of one orange

Thanksgiving 2009 028

Also juice of one orange . . .

Thanksgiving 2009 030

Sugar, a touch of Grand Marnier to taste . . . with a dash of water . . .

Thanksgiving 2009 031

Cook on medium low heat until most of the liquid has reduced, the cranberries have popped (isn’t that such a festive noise?) and the cranberry mixtures has turned into . . .

Thanksgiving 2009 044

Thick, gorgeous sauce that is finger lickin’ good!

Thanksgiving 2009 041

Thanksgiving 2009 039

Yum – O!

Last, but not least. The Turkey. The Brine. The Love.

Thanksgiving 2009 032

Assembled ingredients for the brine. This Brine recipe is from Nigella Lawsons’ “Feast”

Thanksgiving 2009 033

Dissolve salt and sugar in the water.

Thanksgiving 2009 034

After adding the rest of the ingredients really get your hands in there and mix, mix, mix.

Thanksgiving 2009 036

Ignore the camera strap in the picture . . . Noah had to put some orange, onion and herb pieces on the turkey for a ‘blanket’.

Thanksgiving 2009 037

He kept squidging, touching and adding pieces on top while saying “ooooooo love, love mummy, love . .” The extra ice was to displace some of the water so the turkey would be submerged and also as an extra precaution to keep the turkey icy cold while bathing in the brine.

Thanksgiving 2009 035

Blankets on, Job well done. Until Tomorrow.

Noah insisted on dragging the heavy cooler outside. “I’m strong mummy let me do it!” When daddy was done work he dragged the cooler out from it’s hiding place under the barbeque cover and had to show daddy “the love”. He was pretty proud of all the work we did and it entertained the both of us for most of the afternoon. We had such a good time. We were productive and had such a good time making a huge mess in the kitchen.

Here’s the link to Nigellas’ turkey brine recipe. It’s on the Food Network website.

More cooking tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. it is so cute to see noah helping you!
    if he becomes the next naked chef, we’ll know why!

    happy thanksgiving to you!
    and your family of course!
    one must be grateful to have a family...

    guylaine xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are marvellous, Anita! Such a great mama!!!I can relate to the part about not being playfull... that was me too. You really know how to make a wonderful feeling in the home with your cooking though! Erik is sure lucky to be there! There is a reason why he's not coming home for Thanksgiving... not much cooking happening here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so adorable. You really got some amazing photos of him helping you out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing a wonderful thing with him - enjoying each other's company and teaching him something really valuable at the same time. I never had much patience for play with my kids either, but neither did I have it for cooking with them. (What DID I do with them, I wonder???) As a result, my sons wish they could cook more than spaghetti and my daughter is learning on her own. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - made your own brine - thanks for the link. I wish I would have read this before I bought my turkey already in a brine. Oh well, next year!
    Happy Turkey day!

    ReplyDelete